Saturday, January 10, 2009

Anthem (Expanded)

It's been a week since I've had my last blog, and for this week, it's all about Ayn Rand's Novel: Anthem.

It just took me two weeks to finish the novel... er... Novelette, as Ayn Rand called it on the introduction, for the said literary piece was her "scribbled notes" while doing her novel "The Fountainhead". The story was really short, I should have finished reading it for three days if not for a great load of work for acad stuff, but reading it from time to time was good enough for me to learn a lot of things, on Ayn Rand's Philosophical perspective: Objectivism.

What triggered me to read her novels was due to the inspiration given to me by my Philosophy teacher last semester, Miss Abbie. She told me through e-mail that my opinion over things are the same as Ayn Rand's. Actually, she told the class before to try some of her books, just to have an idea about Objectivism, for further reading.

I thought before that Ayn Rand's novels would really be technical over Philosophy, but she really did a great job of making the readers understand what she wants to impart in her novels. She gave a good writing style, for the readers to relate. And that's a good skill as a writer. :) How I wish I had those writing skills. Haha! :D

I won't be able to site some details regarding the good read I've experienced in the novel, because it was really short and I would really recommend it to you guys! :) Your appreciation of the novel all depend on how you lived and believed on your concept of individualism, and how you define "I".

Ayn Rand really had a good definition of Individualism, but still, I have my own choices and decisions. As what she said, we are capable of volition, or the ability to make choices, and she cannot completely persuade the readers to believe or to live with her concept. What matters to her is to share her concept, and her belief on how man can manage to live his life, and how man must live his life, and that is through searching for the true happiness that one has in mind. :)

Every philosopher has his or her description of things, with ultimate regard on the philosopher he or she looks up upon. And not all Philosophers don't believe in the concept of God and the Almighty, for a number of Saints are philosophers as well. :)

As for me, Ayn Rand had a good job of making me realize a number of things, and she made me stand up on my own decisions in life. Thanks to her, I'm back on my feet, and now, I'm walking my path towards personal stability and fulfillment.

And now, moving on, I learned to think about myself. It's kinda selfish, but how would I be able to share a part of me if I don't know myself that well? We all live in this world for our own sake, and we all battle for existence.

And with all that, I got addicted to Ayn Rand's novels, and now I'm starting up on the next book: her three plays, featuring "Night of January 16th", "Ideal", and "Think Twice".

How I wish I could avail "The Fountainhead" by next week... I've signed up a reservation for that. :)

No comments: